Can't read English? Use Google Translate :)

Thursday 6 June 2013

Humans vs. Objects

Look at all those footprints. Imagine all the different types of interaction that took place on those stairs. Not to mention the interaction between humans and stairs. Stairs are a simple everyday thing, have you thought about life without stairs..?

Just to clarify something. I said in my previous post that our interaction with inanimate objects are easier to handle (in some ways) than our relations with humans. There is, however, an exception: When you let the object become master of the relationship, you will start having a very difficult time to keep that relationship balanced. I will say more on this subject at another time.

Why did I say that in some cases it is easier to maintain relationships with humans than with inanimate objects? Usually this is not the case, because humans are mostly more complex than objects. Yet there are a few cases where a human relationship hardly needs any work to maintain it. I have a fantastic relationship with my family, we do not need to work very hard at it for the relations to stay that way. I know that I can turn to them with any of my problems and they would never turn me away. Did I need to work at the relationships to get it where it is? I don't know. I wouldn't call it work. We always just did stuff together and this great bond is the reward. 

Now people will probably say that if you spend as much time with an inanimate object as I did with my family, the bond would be the same. You can put the object in a cupboard and take it out two years later and you'd still have the same bond. In a sense that is true. Once you know how to ride a bicycle you never forget how to do it, right? Haha, I can tell you out of personal experience that it is not always the case. I used to cycle to school every day of my school career and afterwards I put the bicycle in the garage. When I took it out six years later, I fell off and messed up my foot completely. Maybe if I don't talk to my family at all for six years the end result would be the same, only on an emotional level and not physically. 

As off tomorrow, I will try to put relationships into categories and describe each category. It will be a timely process, so bear with me. For now, I will go and work on my relationship with Mr. Snowboard! 

1 comment:

  1. "... When you let the object become master of the relationship..."

    This is something I struggle with. I think I need to re-evaluate my time spent on objects rather than on things that have eternal value...

    ReplyDelete