Can't read English? Use Google Translate :)

Thursday 20 June 2013

send/receive

Wow, I had an amazing day today! It was my off day, so I spent the entire day skiing. With two of the resorts' ski instructors giving me tips and helping me out, I am now very competent on my ski's! It was so much fun! When they weren't coaching me, I was listening to my favorite composers through my iPod - Beethoven, Brahms, Tchaikovsky... Have you listened to their violin concertos? If not, I suggest that you do so now.

(Close to three hours later, if you did as I said...)

Why did I ski today, instead of snowboarding? Because I felt like it! I am way more comfortable on ski's (mainly because I have skied before) but that is neither here nor there. The fact is that I was tired and not at all in the mood for falling down, so I made the easy choice. I think that is one of my greatest problems, I always choose the easy way out. In other words, I'm lazy. Do I have to work at not being lazy? Absolutely! But how..?

In the case of working with your own faults and failures, it is also a matter of sending and receiving. Or let's call it giving and receiving, shall we? Happy now, Martin? ;p
You have to give some of your time, some of your effort, some of your energy in order to improve that certain aspect of yourself that you are not happy with. The difference between self improvement and inter human relationships is fairly obvious, but for those of you who can't see it yet, let me explain: In one you give to someone else and receive from someone else, in the other you give to yourself and thus receive from yourself. Does it make sense? Dealing with yourself and your problems is as unavoidable a relationship as any of the others. Why do we need to work at certain characteristics though? If there is an easier way, why not just take it? Sometimes we need to do hard things in order for us to grow. At the time of doing it you might not like it or enjoy it, but in the long run it will definitely benefit you. That is the receiving part. You give time and energy, but when all is said and done, you will look back with no regrets, with only self satisfaction.

Still the question remains, how do I overcome being lazy? Is it as simple as telling myself not to be lazy and to make an active effort to keep working at whatever it is that I have to work at? In some cases it is easy, like with snowboarding. Just because I didn't feel like boarding today doesn't mean that I will stop altogether, it is just too much fun! But in other things it is more difficult. Like for instance my studies or reading a book that is very boring or slow. I think I just need to force myself into doing those necessary things that I do not like. Do you have tips for me?

My shadow in relation to the ski slope. The ski slope in relation to the rest of the valley. Consider; if you go down in a straight line you move very very fast, if you make turns across the face of the slope, you move at a more controlled pace. I have to place myself in relation to all the factors at play before I go down the slope, otherwise I might hurt myself. In inter human relationships we have to do the same, otherwise we can hurt ourselves, but more importantly, others...



3 comments:

  1. Laziness... But Cilliers, I was born this way?!

    No, jokes aside. This is very important!

    Can't wait to read your next post!

    P.S. I have never snowboarded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a comment on the picture. The strip of snow in contrast to the surrounding landscape is quite fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to add the factor of gratification here. For instance, I imagine the wind sweeping past you as you move downhill to be a gratifying experience. While falling down and struggling on a snowboard might not yield immediate gratification. Because going out and doing anything is not necessarily lazy... just a choice between two things that may differ in the level of gratification or the type? It might also be seen as instant versus long term gratification and motivating yourself to achieve long term gratification. This can be linked to some of my most gratifying relationships, which in the most part required and are the result of long-time commitment. Hope this makes sense

    ReplyDelete